Tradition & History
- Alexander Zakharov stopped wearing clothes with buttons to work years ago. There is an old Russian superstition that by tearing off a chimney sweep's button, you can ensure a lifetime of happiness.
- A Russian Sweep's Story
- Cor blimey Mary Poppins!
Chim chiminey, Chim chiminey, Chim chim cher-ee! A sweep is as lucky, as lucky can be!
- Channel 4 - The worst jobs in history
- "So your chimneys I sweep and in soot I sleep."
- The Chimney Sweeper, a poem by William Blake
- "OF COURSE, shaking hands with a chimney sweep will not really bring you luck. That is a myth perpetuated by Disney."
- An alternative view
- "Chimney sweeps are another good luck symbol for Germans. The chimney pointing upwards connects the two worlds. By cleaning the chimney, the sweep opens up the way to heaven and brings in a fresh wind. The cleaning of the chimney also ensures the safety of the house is therefore considered good luck, as it prevents possible fires."